Some weeks, you feel like a workplace superhero – completing important tasks on schedule without skipping a beat. Then, there are the weeks that seem like one long Monday. It’s normal to feel burned out from all the tasks on your to-do list. Whether it’s your career projects or your obligations in life outside of work, there’s always a way to get back to your highly productive self. Here are several ways you can boost your productivity today.
1. Take a break – Too much of anything can become monotonous, and the same goes for your work. Studies have shown taking regular breaks can actually improve productivity, since those couple of minutes away from your work will give you time to recollect your thoughts. Our brains are like an engine, and we can’t have them running on overload all the time. Simply taking a 5-10-minute break away from any project will give you and your brain the chance to rejuvenate, and to come back motivated and ready to work.
2. Establish your priorities – Most people generally know what errands/projects they must get done for the day, but when it multiple tasks are piled up, it can begin to look cluttered within your own mind. Determine which tasks are the most important to you—as this will organize your thoughts so you won’t feel overwhelmed by all of your current projects. With your mind clear and organized, you’ll feel more motivated to take on the day.
3. Stop trying to be a perfectionist – Sometimes the thing that’s preventing us from starting a task is worrying about whether it’s done perfectly or not. You’ll just end up wasting time when you could’ve been completing a multitude of tasks. Now, that doesn’t mean to just rush through your work, but you should always believe in yourself to complete the job to the best of your ability, and then move on to the next.
4. Minimize interruptions – Listening to music or watching TV might help some people to get their work done, but theses things can also be very distracting. If you’re home and you keep getting distracted by loud noises, you might want to think about heading out to a library or coffee shop to get your work done. You can also get yourself a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones to drown out any distractions. Distractions can also include things such as social media and video streaming sites. If it doesn’t pertain to your current work, then it may start to hinder your productivity.
5. Create a routine for yourself – It’s much easier to take on a day full of work when you know exactly what to do first. Even if it’s something as simple as waking up on schedule and making breakfast, daily routines will get you in the habit of being proactive. It’s a great feeling when you start your day off right on schedule and ready to be productive!
We all have days where we slip into a rut of distractions, but simply remember these tips the next time you want to get your productive juices flowing.